Do you get tired of the same old lunch routine day after day? Lately I’ve been wanting a change from my normal lunch options. While a cold deli sandwich or salad can be very satisfying, those are my typical go-to…and I need something different.
I pulled together some options from my fridge and here’s what I came up with: a hot roast beef sandwich. It’s fairly quick, very satisfying, and packed with fiber, protein and calcium. This roast beef sandwich is especially good with mushrooms and cheddar cheese.
Toasted Roast Beef Sandwich
What you’ll need:
- Whole wheat bread
- Sliced roast beef
- Extra sharp cheddar cheese slices
- Thinly sliced raw mushrooms
- Place two slices of bread on a cookie sheet.
- On one slice, place the roast beef slices.
- On the other slice, place mushrooms with cheese on top.
- Set your oven to a low broil. Once heated, place the cookie sheet with the open faced sandwich under the broiler until cheese is melted and/or bubbly.
- Remove from oven and put the sandwich slices together.
- Place back in oven and toast each side of the sandwich. (Keep an eye on your bread as it will toast quickly!)
- Serve with chips and fruit. Enjoy.
NOTE: This can also be done in a toaster oven. Place the bread directly on the rack and both sides of your bread will toast at the same time you are melting your cheese
If you have a panini press, you can forgo the oven and toast/warm the sandwich all in one quick step.