Need a quick meal, but tired of sandwiches? Don’t have much on-hand around the house? Port Holes are a great go-to and quick meal that you can whip out in a jiffy.
It probably isn’t new to many people, but it’s something we’ve grown to love at our house. Some call them Port Holes. Some call them Bird Nests. We use the terms interchangeably in our house!
What you’ll need:
- Skillet (I LOVE this one due to size and durability!)
- A small cup or round cookie cutter
- Oil (spray or vegetable oil)
- Salt and Pepper (optional)
- Butter/margarine (optional)
- Jelly (optional)
1. Take your bread and cut out a circle in the middle using a cup or circle cookie cutter.
Be careful to leave enough border on the edges to keep your “frame” in tact.
2. Warm up your skillet to medium-heat, then spray the pan (or put a T. of oil in the pan to cover it.)
Not hot enough will take your eggs for.ev.er to cook and too hot will over cook your break and egg!
3. Place bread on the skillet and crack a whole egg into each hole.
Just put as many pieces of bread that will fit — which will depend on the size of your skillet.
4. Wait for the bottom of the egg to cook enough to where you can flip the bread without the egg leaking.
5. Cook the second side of the bread/egg. How long you cook this side will be dependent on how runny you want your egg (less time = runny yolk; more time = solid yolk).
You will need to experiment and also see what your family prefers. Neither my 4 year old or husband has a preference, so that makes it easier on me!
6. Scoop up the bread and place on the given plates. Season with salt & pepper, if desired.
7. Take the middle sections you cut out of the bread and place butter on them. You can also place them on the skillet to make toast. Jelly and butter optional.
WARNING: Make sure you ask your little one how they want their circles or else you might have a breakdown ensue — You have been warned.
8. Serve the Port Holes with some fruit or oatmeal and you will have a happy bunch. Breakfast. Lunch. Or Dinner — it makes a great meal.